Monday, October 15, 2007

Still a rollin'

It was a beautiful Indian summer day, yesterday. So, I made a trip to the Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois, and I finally made my first visit to Garden of the Gods (any trip before I was 5 doesn't count, Dad). I passed through Harrisburg, which was my mom's hometown. I think it'd been 25 years since I had been over there, and I was surprised to find out that Harrisburg has a larger population than Litchfield. I'll have to look around more the next time I pass through.

Here are a few pictures from Garden of the Gods. It's the 10th most popular location in the U.S. to photograph sandstone cliffs (...way to narrow it down to get into the top 10). And yes, I made a few jumps across the rocks.









I finally fulfilled a lifelong dream of visiting Simpson, IL. This is about it for the place and all 56 people who live there.

-
As most of you know, I like taking the scenic routes, and the road between Karber's Ridge and Elizabethtown is a great place to get lost. I'm going to have to go back and take a drive along the Ohio National Scenic By-way. There's still a lot more to see down there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Grandmother and Granddad Benson had a cabin a couple of miles off the highway near Karber's Ridge, FYI. I was only there a couple of times. Your pictures again are outstanding and truly show the beauty of Southern Illinois and the Shawnee National Forest. Love you, Dad.