Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Radnor Lake

I spent a couple nights in Nashville on may way back from Jacksonville, last week. I always enjoy visiting my good friends Scott & Natalie, and their son, Ford. Although I haven't lived there in 9 years, Nashville has always been a second home to me, and they have always extended me an open invitation (which could be questionable on their part).

I did take the time on Thursday to visit one of my favorite places in Middle Tennessee, Radnor Lake State Natural Area. These aren't the best pics, but I really didn't have the opportunity to catch the best light.







-
Have I ever mentioned my fear of deer ? (rhyme not intentional)

-
They're big, dumb, and spook easily. Throw in this guy's antlers and it could make for a gorey situation. However, the deer at Radnor have always been fairly friendly. There was one time I walked by one on a trail, and I could have slapped him on the rump as I past.


-
This next photo is the last time I saw the sun until the end of my hike.

-
I hadn't made it half way across this dam when it started raining. It soon turned into a torrential downpour that I couldn't see more than 10 feet ahead of me. I had to walk over a mile back to my car, and needless to say I was soaked ALL the way through. Chafing was a potential concern by the time I got to the parking lot. Of course, the rain totally stopped once I got to the lot. Thankfully, I had a complete change of clothes in the car, and the visitor's center provided the paper towels to dry off. It did take 3 days for my shoes to dry.
-
Radnor has a lot of great nature programs. I once took a moonlight canoe float around the lake, and apparently they have some cave programs, too. It's also a popular place for bird-watchers. They charged a user fee a few years ago, but they've gone back to being completely free. The park has various levels of difficulty for the trails, with the two most rigorous completing a 4.5 mile loop around the lake. Otter Creek Road and the Lake Trail are the easiest on the immediate edges of the lake.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Steve, I LOVE Radnor Lake...and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the McLaughlins. I, too, have been away from Nashville for a little while now, but Nashville is my home...and Nat and Scott's house, along with our friends Mary Ann and Jason's house, is always completely welcoming. Don't you love having friends like that? We are lucky.

Abby