Thursday, April 10, 2008

Just when things went right

We're home, and Matt & Addi became U.S. citizens about 2:30 AM CDT this morning. I don't have any pics to post right now (we didn't take many, so I'll let their mommy post some first).

Kristi gave me the choice of which one I wanted to hold on the plane, and I either picked good or Uncle Steve is awesome. I took Addi for the flight and got her asleep right before we boarded the plane. She slept about 4 of the 4 1/2 hour flight. A few times she'd wake up, but she went back to sleep very quickly. She woke up as soon as we landed in Chicago, and I welcomed her to America. She slept through the entire descent. Kristi wasn't so lucky with Matt. He maybe slept 1/2 hour of the flight, and that was pretty restless.

I took a picture of Kristi with them in immigration, and we thought I was going to get arrested. A customs officer yelled, "PHOTO!" and came running at me to delete the pic from my camera. I thought it might be okay since I was standing by the baggage carousel away from the customs stations. I was wrong. So, no picture of them becoming citizens.

We left O'Hare after 3:00 AM, and I drove most of the way. Kristi's car is really small for me, and I had to have her finish the drive from Lincoln. I was sore and exhausted from the cramped driving conditions. They both slept most of the way, except Addi did wake up crying once.

I slept about two hours this morning, and I didn't even hear our parents come in. I'll stick around for a while, and then I'll go back home to St. Louis tonight. I had two voice-mails from yesterday telling me I've been deployed to work again. I called my boss this morning, and I'm apparently leaving on Sunday to work an old storm in Minneapolis.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve, You are a WONDERFUL brother, uncle (and cousin)... take care and travel safely. Love you, Sheri

Gary and Lisa Simpson said...

Steve- Thanks for the update. I have been checking the blogs all day to see how the flight home went. Glad everyone is HOME safe and sound.

Lisa