Sunday, April 20, 2008

All we want is life beyond the thunderdome



I went to my first Twins game today. The [Hubert H. Humphrey] Metrodome was not as impressive as I imagined. Afterall, this is the facility which beat the Cardinals in the '87 series (not necessarily the Twins, themselves). It's kind of a strange place for a ballgame, and it was my first indoors baseball game. I'm not too familiar with the Twins or the Indians, and I'm not much of a fan of American League ball. I'm disappointed I couldn't have seen Torii Hunter play here (I guess on that note, Kirby Puckett would have been cool to see, too). However, the game went 10 innings, and it got exciting after the 8th. There was a spectacular diving catch by the Twins new center-fielder, and it will probably be a webgem on ESPN tonight. The Twins ended up winning 2-1. It was kind of weird to see the team take the field like they just won the pennant.

The Twins are building a new ballpark across town. It's going to be open-air, and not even with a retractable roof! That's genius with the weather up here. Not even close to a sell-out crowd, so I may go to more games before I get released from here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve,
I don't know if you know, but I keep up with you thru your blog about 3 times a week. So, thank you for the updates. I always enjoy knowing about your adventures.
Love,
Sheri

Steve Simpson said...

Thanks for letting me know, Sheri. Happy to know you've got me on a schedule. ;-)

Although, I'm not too sure I'd characterize these postings as "adventures." But, thanks for the sentiment.

See you around.