Sunday, September 16, 2007

Gator Dan's got nothing on me.

I took a bike ride today (a little over 33 miles) on the Jacksonville-Baldwin Trail. It's part of a Rails to Trails program here. It's a nice bike path. I was hoping to see some 'gators roaming around, but I didn't see any.













The following pics are from a nature preserve at the University of North Florida campus. This is right by my hotel in Jacksonville. There are several trails around here, and there are a lot of wildlife roaming around.






Now, I finally get to see a wild gator swimming and hanging around. The sign said "Don't Feed The Gators," but there were some people throwing bread crumbs and fishing lines at him and the turtles. I didn't get too close, but the opportunity was there for him to approach anyone.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures Steve - what a beautiful place!
Fishing line? Does someone need to lose a foot before they realize it's not nice to taunt the gators?

Jennifer

stmclaughlin said...

33 miles? That's madness!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZBA0SKmQy8

Anonymous said...

It looks like you finally got to see your wild gator.

Unknown said...

Ugh, just looking at that picture of the gator gives me the creeps. As a resident of Florida, I would have punched those bread-crumb idiots right in the face...they are the reason that gators are attacking people. On a less agressive note, the rest of those photos are beautiful!