Sunday, July 20, 2008

Well we know where we're goin', But we don't know where we've been

July 10 marked the two year anniversary in my current job. Hence the name of this blog (and the fact I suggested I'd only be doing this for 2 years), you'd think there may be some change on the horizon. ... Well, not for now, or at least nothing significant.

My job, as a catastrophe adjuster, has turned out entirely different from what I was told when hired. Most of the promises/assurances about taking on this new life have been broken, and the majority of the moves by my employer have not been particularly positive. To point, I feel I'm under-paid and quality of life sucks. The so-called perks of my job are only a mask for the difficulties. Some of this I've shared with a few of you, but I know I've never quite painted the big picture. Because, with all of the hardships I face everyday (and I do mean every day), it doesn't seem right to complain when I, in fact, love my job.

I've been working in insurance for the better part of the last 10 years, and this is the first time I've ever enjoyed my job -- in this industry (I have also enjoyed selling shoes and working in the music business). Yet, I know I have not had to work in a truly difficult situation, and (most notably) there haven't been any hurricanes since I started. I do wonder what kind of long-term future I have with my employer, but I have career goals I want to accomplish in the next few years before I cross that bridge. How and where things will happen has yet to be determined.

Despite whatever burdens may be carried, I love this cowboy life I'm living. I chose this career with the full knowledge that my way of life would change, and I have not once regretted my decision. Some days I contemplate how long I can do this, and then the next day I wonder how I could do anything else. The autonomy and responsibility I have are unmatched with any other job I've had, but more importantly (and as cliche as it may be) I'm "delivering the promise." Despite any grievances with management decisions, I truly respect the company ethos and the way we conduct our business.
-
We can never plan with any certainty in life. The last two years confirmed my knowledge I don't have a clue about anything in the future. So, right now I'm only trying to get over the next hump. And, things are always subject to change.
_
The following pic is another day at the office (taken at Lake Mille Lacs in Garrison, MN):


_

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! JUST ANOTHER DAY AT THE OFFICE. LOVE YOU! DAD :-)

Lessen Family said...

The "real world" sucks, doesn't it?!?!?

Steve Simpson said...

Umm, that's not what I was saying, and, actually, I don't agree. Life can be hard, but I don't think "the real world" sucks. I'm actually having fun (for the most part). I've made some tough choices about taking my job, how to navigate this coprorate climate, and attempting to balance work/life issues. I see it as just a part of life, with the give and take of compromise.

It is what it is.

Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo

Michael, Karen and Morgan said...

shouldn't you have written.... Manamana?

Steve Simpson said...

No, that was a play off of a cross-stitch Mom made for me (Plato, Socrates, and Sinatra).

Lessen Family said...

Ummm...I'm saying the "real world" sucks! It's not all about you, Steve ;o)