Thursday, March 6, 2008

We grew up together that way

Domino, Domino, Domino.

My mom recently sent me this picture of our beloved Domino, our deaf dalmation.



He came to our family when I was in the sixth grade. He came from a local breeder that couldn't bring herself to put him down, but she couldn't keep him after he killed one of her peacocks. My Aunt Peg heard an ad on the radio about a free Dalmatian or he would be put down. She brought him to our house since we didn't have an outside dog at the time (she had been breeding Shar-Peis), and she was going to look for a permanent home. My mom forgot that we got out of school early that day, so when all four of us got home we decided we were keeping him. I think Kristi or Jennifer called Dad at the shoe store to tell him we got a new dog (whether he liked it or not).

Living next to the post office, Dom became the most popular dog in town, and we were known to live in "Domino's house." Many nights he would eat better than us, because we heard from all sorts of people that would bring him steak and ice cream. Many people would come to take pictures of him, such as this photo. I remember once a girl had walked into our backyard (through the gate!) to take a picture, but he was such a big dog that he knocked her down trying to play. I had been in my room and looked out to see him on top of this girl, so I had to run down and pull him off. The smart puppy was also known to like boobies, and frequently ripped girls shirts.

He was a hyper-active dog, and he was not that easy to control because he was deaf. Although, he seemed to have a natural obedience with our dad. When he had free reign of the entire yard, Mike or I would be sent outside to have him chase us around until visitors could get inside unmolested. We eventually built an interior fence to keep him in the back-yard, and the back gate is still pad-locked to this day.

There are so many stories that I alone could share about Dom, but I'm happy to hear anyone else's in the comments. I've loved all of our family pets with each of their own personalities (like my parents currently have an epileptic dog and a diabetic cat), but Dom was a force of his own nature. He was the biggest lap dog I've ever had, and my best friend growing up. He died several years ago, and I miss him still. I don't imagine I'll ever have another dog like him.

By the way, isn't he one of the best looking dogs you've ever seen. He was beautiful, and he knew it. Such vanity, he always knew when to pose for a picture.

No comments: