Friday, March 28, 2008

Lord, I was born a ramblin man

It's a good thing that I love to travel and 'be on the move.' I'll be wrapping up early here in Georgia-South Carolina on Tuesday. On Wednesday morning, I'll be driving back to St. Louis where I'll quickly pack a new bag and then drive on to Chicago (all in a day's work). Kristi has an appointment at the embassy in Guatemala City next Friday for Matt (and hopefully Addison), and we should get to the airport just in time to check-in for our flight. We fly out of Chicago at 3:00 AM on Thursday, April 3 and we'll return at 1:45 AM on Thursday, April 10. However, my boss told me to probably expect to be re-deployed again right away after my vacation is over (after Friday, the 11th). So, we'll see where the road takes me next, but a lot can change in the next two weeks.

Speaking of the road, the land in southern South Carolina is littered with striking pine forests. I really haven't had any time to be a tourist or take photos, but I may have some time this Sunday. The best drive I've taken so far is on the Atomic Road (S.C. 125) between Augusta and Allendale, SC. It runs along the southern edge of the Savannah River Site. I thought of stopping to take some pictures, but there is strict enforcement of no stopping since it's next to a nuclear power facility. I don't think my bosses would be too understanding if I was arrested by federal agents.

Here are a couple of pics I snapped the other day (another beautiful, sunny day in the 80's).

This is one of the many red-dirt roads I've had to traverse in my van. I've bumped across a few roads where I really wish I'd been in my Jeep.



Not only has the weather been warm, but this controlled fire in a pine forest was an added incentive to roll down the windows while I drove through the forests near Edgefield, SC.

-

-
I should have more from this area in a few days.

1 comment:

Fran said...

Thanks for sharing, Steve. We are always checking your blog for interesting tidbits on your travels. Love you!

Mom