Sunday, January 6, 2008

Tryin to make a livin' and doin' the best I can



I've always been a paper maps kind of guy. I enjoy sitting around just reading maps -- even if I'm not going anywhere (it's a genetic trait inherited from my dad). However, my work recently supplied me with a GPS. The system of choice for work is TomTom. I was leary of using it, because I've been with people who have them and don't pay attention to the area. I always enjoy going to a new city and knowing my way around (like New York City). I'm happy to say that after using this around Tulsa my fears have been appeased. Not only was I able to learn the layout of the city and surrounding towns, but I could still navigate on my own when the GPS ultimately sent me to the wrong location. Don't get me wrong, it was very convenient navigating to many of my appointments, but the rural areas need updating and I would have to figure out where I needed to go. The (female) voice telling me when to turn and distance to travel was incredibly convenient when trying to get to unknown places on time. I still miss the overview of a paper map, but the GPS was great in navigating between appointments.

So, my final verdict is GPS is good, but I still like to get around by my internal compass.

UPDATE:
This is just a recent example on the limitations of using a GPS in rural areas. However, I think it also reflects on the limitations of the user. Just because a machine tells you turn where there is not a road is not particularly good judgement.

No comments: