Thursday, January 15, 2009

Let's take a plane to Saint Paul

I really didn't spend much time in St. Paul last year. Here are a few pics from downtown.
-

-

-

-

-

-
They have done a nice job developing the river front (on the Mississippi River, downstream from Minneapolis). St. Paul has a really nice riverwalk, where Minneapolis is mostly on bluffs.
-

-
Charles Schulz is from St. Paul, but I didn't make it to the Peanuts museum. They do have statues of different characters around town, and this one is in the Italian neighborhood.
-

-
This is the Xcel Center; home of the Minnesota Wild (NHL). It is the same place that Barack Obama unofficially accepted the Democratic nomination, and it was also the location of the Republican National Convention back in September.
-

-

-

-

-

-

3 comments:

stmclaughlin said...

It's kind of weird, but in all of those photos of a downtown area, there are only like two people. Is it really that deserted or just coincidence?

Steve Simpson said...

Heh. I really hadn't noticed that. Both the Minn and STP photos were taken on Sundays, so they weren't as busy. However, downtown Minn has more people wandering around, and it is much more tourist friendly. I think I waited for people to get out of the way before I took pictures. STP is fairly deserted on a Sunday, except for all the homeless. They have a distinct presence there, not unlike Nashville.

Shannon said...

I am always amazed that you find the time to sight see while on assignment! These are some cool pictures and I have learned more about Minneapolis than I ever thought possible! Maybe I'll get better this year at documenting my travels.